Re[2]: SGML/HTML for Multiple Uses

Subject: Re[2]: SGML/HTML for Multiple Uses
From: Vince Putman <PUTMV -at- MAIL -dot- SYNTRON -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 26 Jan 1995 13:05:13 CST

Rick Lippincott <rlippinc -at- bev -dot- etn -dot- com> wrote:

>Virtually all of the maintenance manuals for U.S. military hardware
>is based on paper documentation. Are you supporting the tax increase
>required to pay for upgrading all U.S. military equipment to support
>CD-ROM?

I sense some resistance to change here when you say *virtually all*.
I have read about many evaluations about various forms of
electronically published docs for the military.

Regarding the tax support; Yes, but no upgrades to existing equipment
OR paper manuals - just start electronic publishing now where
possible. Use paper only where a reader would not be available. It
is very clear that the cost under these conditions would be much less
than current reproduction. Updates would be faster, cheaper, and
also help prevent outdated info laying around.

I know there will be a transition period where paper will be
available for you and the "uncomfortable technicians" to become
accustomed to the easier-to-use electronic version.

Fear Not, Thanks for comments. I am,

Vince Putman | Eschew Gratuitous Obfuscation
putmv -at- mail -dot- syntron -dot- com | OR
713-647-7139 Houston, TX | Avoid Free Confusion