Re: Paperless

Subject: Re: Paperless
From: "Robert W. Jones" <shaka -at- NETCOM -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 30 Jan 1995 13:25:16 -0800

I think that one must consider the cost/benefit analysis argument of
paper vs electronic. Paper nor electronic media can not be and should not
be all things to all people under all conditions. Standards and yes even
language is subject to change (Latin was the standard language of the
Middle Ages for the Western world). Hardware and software is subject to
change and the cost of retiring old systems is often costly, the cost of
conversion is out of sight for some. I am sure that the Libary of
Congress would love to convert their stock of print material and
recordings to CD-ROM but the tax payer would scream, Newt would scream
and so would Bob Dole because of the cost of conversion. So a lot of
books, computer tapes/disks, magazines and yes art work is being lost
because of the cost of conversion and the lack of compatible systems. A
lot of folks think that English will be around for another 2,000 to
5,000 years. Is it possible that it could be just another dead lanaguage.
We should keep in mind this Time (the life cycle of the product and or
media) and
not eternity and the cost/benefit of the media for our application.