Quotes and Punctuation

Subject: Quotes and Punctuation
From: Bev Parks <bparks -at- HUACHUCA-EMH1 -dot- ARMY -dot- MIL>
Date: Wed, 1 Feb 1995 18:38:10 MST

Lori Moore wrote--
(snip)
> the foreign American ("foreign American"??) will know a new
(snip)
> color! Ahh, what a service we provide!

> BTW, any comments on my placing the puncuation _outside_ the
> quotes when it follows a PHRASE, as in the paragraph above?
> I just can't see putting them _inside_ the quotes except when
> writing dialog. I'd LOVE to hear others' opinions on this!

Here's an opinion: It looks yucky. ("yucky??")

Plus, it removes the inflection from the quoted material. Do you
want me to say to myself

foreign American??

or foreign American. Huh??

Beverly Parks =*= bparks -at- huachuca-emh1 -dot- army -dot- mil
"The opinions expressed are mine, not my employer's."