Re: Paperless, but getting off topic

Subject: Re: Paperless, but getting off topic
From: Beverly Parks <bparks -at- HUACHUCA-EMH1 -dot- ARMY -dot- MIL>
Date: Fri, 3 Feb 1995 12:57:00 MST

Tammy Hale gave us some information about books by William
Gibson. I'm just adding a bit of trivia.

> He then wrote an "SF" book called _The Difference Engine_ which takes place
> in the Victorian era . I'm not sure what he's written since then.

The Difference Engine is considered by many to be the first
computer. It was invented by a gent named Babbage in, I believe,
the 1700s. His partner was Ada Lovelace, Lord Byron's daughter,
who is attributed to inventing the first programming language.
This bit of trivia is standard fare in just about any
Intro to Data Processing course. It's been several years, and I
don't have a textbook of that type handy, so my facts could be a
bit off.

=*= Beverly Parks =*= bparks -at- huachuca-emh1 -dot- army -dot- mil =*=
=*= "Unless otherwise stated, all comments are my own. =*=
=*= I am not representing my employer in any way." =*=