Re: technical Writing Skills

Subject: Re: technical Writing Skills
From: "Robert A. Goff" <outlaw -at- RT66 -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 10 Feb 1995 18:11:49 -0700

It seems to me in this discussion that there is a subtle difference between
Susan's point:

>Well organized and well written documentation can point out subtle
>flaws in a process. By making that documentation appear to be less
>well written or less well organized, we can attempt to hide product
>flaws. In the environment in which we work, this *may* be necessary --
>but this may not necessarily be the best approach.

and Mean Green's statement:

>> problem domain. In my first and only job as a tech writer, my ability
>> to program in C turned out to be crucial in writing the manual, in large
>> part because I was able to get the programmer to change the product
>> design in certain ways that made it easier to document.

Susan pointed out stuff that any beta tester might, and we seem to have
consensus that a writer should also be a tester. But Mean Green's
description of the situation sounds as if he requested and got the changes
to the product specificially to make it easier to produce the
documentation, and I don't think that's our job at all.

Bob Goff
outlaw -at- rt66 -dot- com
PLEASE MAKE A NOTE
OF MY NEW E-MAIL ADDRESS!