Re: Who's the author?

Subject: Re: Who's the author?
From: Beverly Parks <bparks -at- HUACHUCA-EMH1 -dot- ARMY -dot- MIL>
Date: Mon, 13 Feb 1995 09:08:13 MST

But shouldn't the person doing your performance evaluation know
what documents you've produced? He/she shouldn't have to see
your name on the cover to know you are the author.

The concern of having your name on the cover would definitely be
valid when looking to enhance your career or change jobs. A
hiring official would probably feel better about claims of
authorship with the added degree of proof provided by the author's
name in black & white.

=*= Beverly Parks =*= bparks -at- huachuca-emh1 -dot- army -dot- mil =*=
=*= "Unless otherwise stated, all comments are my own. =*=
=*= I am not representing my employer in any way." =*=
========
Correctamundo, exactly Marguerite, however if you are not the
perceived author when comes time to evaluate your performance, you do
not get the credit in your pocket. It may be better for the author to
refer calls to the help desk and keep the credit. Right?

Marguerite's original post--
Regarding when you remove the author's name from a revision:
I don't like including the author's name in the first place, although it's
the practice in some companies. If users have a real name in a company,
they're likely to call that person instead of talking to a (perceived)
impersonal help desk. Not that I don't take pride in my work, but by thte
time the calls come in, I'm on another project, and I'd have to forward
the calls to the help desk anyway. If companies want to reward my
authoring skills, I'd sooner they do it with money, not a by-line.
<cut some>