Re[2]: Who's the author?

Subject: Re[2]: Who's the author?
From: Vince Putman <PUTMV -at- MAIL -dot- SYNTRON -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 13 Feb 1995 12:58:11 CST

Beverly, have you ever worked for someone who did not
understand our profession, much less our contributions? I
have, and have you ever written a great book only to be told
that they did not like the way you got it done? I have, and
have you ever had a boss who thought the great book content
actually came from writings done by the developers? I could go
on, but phew. . .

Your second point is very valid and believe me, we all should
start adding our name to the book somewhere. I have never done
it and now, with all of the false claims a company hears at
interviews, I wish I had. Its likely, however, that most
companies will not allow you to put your name on *their* book.

Vince Putman | Be kind, never have a battle of wits
putmv -at- mail -dot- syntron -dot- com | with the unarmed!
713-647-7139 Houston, TX | Aka, Eschew Gratuitous Obfuscation

=========
Beverly Parks <bparks -at- huachuca-emh1 -dot- army -dot- mil> wrote

But shouldn't the person doing your performance
evaluation know what documents you've produced? He/she
shouldn't have to see your name on the cover to know
you are the author.

The concern of having your name on the cover would definitely
be valid when looking to enhance your career or change jobs. A
hiring official would probably feel better about claims of
authorship with the added degree of proof provided by the
author's name in black & white.

=*= Beverly Parks =*= bparks -at- huachuca-emh1 -dot- army -dot- mil =*=
=*= "Unless otherwise stated, all comments are my own. =*=
=*= I am not representing my employer in any way." =*=
========
Correctamundo, exactly Marguerite, however if you are not the
perceived author when comes time to evaluate your performance, you do
not get the credit in your pocket. It may be better for the author to
refer calls to the help desk and keep the credit. Right?

Marguerite's original post--
Regarding when you remove the author's name from a revision:
I don't like including the author's name in the first place, although it's
the practice in some companies. If users have a real name in a company,
they're likely to call that person instead of talking to a (perceived)
impersonal help desk. Not that I don't take pride in my work, but by thte
time the calls come in, I'm on another project, and I'd have to forward
the calls to the help desk anyway. If companies want to reward my
authoring skills, I'd sooner they do it with money, not a by-line.
<cut some>