Re: Writing Platform

Subject: Re: Writing Platform
From: Marcia Coulter <notjust -at- IX -dot- NETCOM -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 14 Feb 1995 07:10:51 -0800

I've used a variety of packages to create documentation:

* Word Perfect for Windows -- awful

* Word Perfect for DOS -- OK, but the environment seems "quaint"
after working primarily in Windows for so long

* Ami Pro (nice package, but not many clients use it)

* Word for Windows 6.0 -- my favorite, at least partly because
I've invested the time to write some utility-type macros that
speed certain aspects of my work considerably.

Are you talking about on-line or printed documentation? For on-line doc,
I'm currently using RoboHelp on a project for Arthur Andersen. And I
like it a lot. There are test and preview modes so you can get a rough
look at your help file even without compiling it. And the error
handling is good as well.

Thre are certain formatting difficulties, but I believe this is because
WINHELP (the Windows help engine) only accepts RTF files.