Re: Who's the author?

Subject: Re: Who's the author?
From: Emily Skarzenski <71220 -dot- 341 -at- COMPUSERVE -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 14 Feb 1995 15:01:39 EST

>>>...we should all start adding our name to the book somewhere. I have never
done it and now, with all of the false claims a company hears at interviews, I
wish I had. It's likely, however, that most companies will not allow you to put
your name on *their* book.<<<

Some good solutions have been proposed for this, especially Mike Bradley's idea
of the "Everybody" strategy (a "Credits" section that lists everybody who worked
on the project).

Here's another idea: *sneak* your name in somewhere. My favorite place is in
screen grabs. When writing software manuals, I often have to come up with a lot
of "dummy data" for screen pictures. I make sure to use my own name at least
once. In fact, along the lines of Mike's "Everybody" idea, I often include names
of programmers, testers, etc., because it's also the only way they are
recognized in print for all their hard work on a project.

As others have said, merely having your name in the book doesn't mean
everything. Nonetheless, when I go on interviews, I always point out my name in
the book. I think it helps.