Re: Pynchon

Subject: Re: Pynchon
From: Bill Burns <WBURNS -at- VAX -dot- MICRON -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 15 Feb 1995 16:51:19 MDT

Tammy,

You're in for a ride. Hang on. One thing I enjoyed about _GR_ is that
many of the scenes are blocked like plays or musicals (note the scene
with Slothrop and the plant from THEM). He also uses a couple of
interrelated symbols throughout the entire novel (consider the meaning
of the title).

Remember that Pynchon uses the theme of paranoia in almost all of his works
(some exceptions in his short stories). I read an essay on Faulkner's use
of paranoia in _As I Lay Dying_. Faulkner shows Darl's descent by decreasing
the boundaries between what Darl would normally know and what his dissolving
personality boundaries allow him to understand. Pynchon sort of does the same
thing in this novel, only inversely.

Let me know how it goes.

Bill Burns *
Assm. Technical Writer/Editor * "Purgamentum init,
Micron Technology, Inc. * exit purgamentum."
Boise, ID *
WBURNS -at- VAX -dot- MICRON -dot- COM * Henricus Barbatus