Sorry, I flew off the handle

Subject: Sorry, I flew off the handle
From: Geoff Davis <davisg -at- SMTPGW -dot- LIEBERT -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 15 Feb 1995 19:51:03 EST

Text item: Text_1

Marguerite wrote:

>Cool your jets, Geoff! The discussion is as valid as the verb. Once
>upon a time, I would have agreed with you, but I've learned that once
>in a while, I learn something from these threads...if not about
>langauge, then about people. So I hope you'll hang in there with us
>and cool the flames.

>As others have pointed out, the list exists to encourage discussion.
>If you aren't interested in a thread, there's always the delete key.

Yeah, Marguerite. I admit this is good advice.

An old professor of mine once told the following story:

"Once upon a time, two flies were sitting in a kitchen. They looked
down at the kitchen table and spotted a knife with a tiny piece of
bologna which was left on the handle. The two flies excitedly flew
down, landed on the knife handle, and ate the bologna. When they
finished, they both flew up off of the knife handle and smashed into
each other."

What is the moral of this story? "Don't fly off the handle when you
are full of bologna."

I suppose this moral could apply to me at the moment, huh? Sometimes a
whisper is as effective as a scream. I will remember this the next
time I disagree with someone on the 'net. Maybe it will not hurt
people's feelings as much.

Sonya says:

>I did look up a dictionary. Here in Australia, "tasked" is definately
>not used in the way it is in the sentence I questioned.

>Happy days!
>Sonja

>P.S. Remember that other people do have brains, AND feelings :-)

I did. Sonja, please accept my sincere apology.

Geoff Davis