Re: negotiating part-time status

Subject: Re: negotiating part-time status
From: Dianne Driskell <ddriskel -at- CS -dot- UTEXAS -dot- EDU>
Date: Fri, 17 Feb 1995 10:00:38 -0600

She should gather all her information, develop a proposal, and present it.
If it's a large company, the rules may be set in stone regarding how many
hours you have to work to retain benefits.

When my son was small, I wanted to work part-time but the company wouldn't
go for it but did go for the idea of sharing the full-time job with another
person. I worked mornings, she worked afternoons.

The drawbacks: the coordinating is a LOT of work. I had to make sure
everything was running smoothly just as if I were working full-time.
That meant the other person had to meet almost every day at the change of
the guard (so to speak) and I tried to stay available by telephone if she
needed me.
It took a lot of extra time and was very stressful in that way. I also felt like
if I didn't succeed at it, the company wouldn't give anyone else the chance
to do it.

The pluses: you get 1/2 day with your offspring.

Dianne Driskell
Publications