Re: Adobe Acrobat

Subject: Re: Adobe Acrobat
From: Jack Shaw <jsh -at- SOFTWARE-AG -dot- DE>
Date: Fri, 17 Feb 1995 16:52:56 MEZ

I wish I had the good experience with the Adobe Acrobat
2 reader that others seemed to have had. I downloaded (FTPed)
the reader and a couple of sample files from Adobe's server.
Two specific sample documents--the Smart Valley Telecommuting
Guide and the Wharton flyer with photo illustr.--would display
but would not print on an attached QMS 815 laserjet-type printer.

So I can't rave about my Acrobat experience. And I don't like
the idea of proprietary .PDF file types that not all servers
can contend with. I have messed around with SoftQuad's shareware
HoTMetaL and, in principle, like it better than HyTime's shareware--
but the best one I've found so far is the simplest: HtmlEdit 0.4
from somewhere down under.

And I like it for just that reason--it's simple, straightforward,
and usually works on "legacy" ASCII and scratch HTML stuff I have
already.

But then I find rodent-oriented "window" systems to be, well, a
"pane"...so I'm probably beyond help.

And to those who think they know me--I DON'T WANT TO TALK ABOUT
BRAND X'S "HYPERLEAF"!!! Just offal, that thing...16 ways to make
hyperlinks, and not one to define HTML-compatible headings! Swell...
as if hyperlinks were all there were in this webby world...

Grumble, grumble

J. Shaw
jsh -at- software-ag -dot- de
Darmstadt, Germany

P.S.: My co. definitely believes in Brand X, so these are only my
feelings as a user and not those of said employer or their purchasing
dept., who would have me using Word for 500-page manuals if they had
their way. That was my disclaimer. (JSH)