Cross-platform fonts

Subject: Cross-platform fonts
From: Michael Hacker <Michael_Hacker -at- QMGATE -dot- ARC -dot- NASA -dot- GOV>
Date: Fri, 17 Feb 1995 15:56:18 U

Subject: Time:3:04 PM
OFFICE MEMO Cross-platform fonts Date:2/17/95

In the future, most of the applications our programmers will develop for
on-site staff will be cross-platform applications. My challenge is to prepare
for this cross-platform environment and to develop a strategy for creating
online help and documentation that our users can use from their Macs, PCs, and
Unix workstations. At this point, I'm not sure what the best tool is for
online help (i.e., FrameMaker hypertext or a dedicated online help product).

Regardless, I'd like to know what other writers recommend for fonts that apply
well across the different platforms. I know there are equivalent
substitutions, such as Ariel for Helvetica, but I'd rather keep things simple
and stay with one set of fonts. It probably makes sense to be fairly
conservative (e.g., Helvetica and Palatino) in my font selection, not knowing
what fonts our users will have on their machines; however, I don't know if
these fonts exist in the same format on PCs and workstations. Are there ways
to get around this concern? Thanks for your help!