Re: Left hand side

Subject: Re: Left hand side
From: "Michael J. Rice" <Michael_J_Rice -dot- Roch817 -at- XEROX -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 15 Feb 1995 12:15:37 PST

> Does anyone else out there have a problem with saying

> "...on the left hand side of...." (or right hand side; no matter)?

> Whenever I encounter it I yank out the "hand." Once we get
> beyond first grade, I think it's extraneous. However, I see it
> everywhere.

> Comments?

Perhaps "right hand" helps the reader to avoid interpreting "right" as
"correct". "Left hand" could also be used for consistency. BTW, American
Heritage uses a hyphen in left-hand and right-hand.

Mike RIce
Customer Doucmentation Analyst
NF Associates, Webster, NY
mrice -dot- roch817 -at- xerox -dot- com