Frame 4.0 indexing capabilities

Subject: Frame 4.0 indexing capabilities
From: Fred Jan Kraan <fjkr -at- WMT -dot- NL>
Date: Tue, 21 Feb 1995 09:19:54 +0100

Hi Kelly and other tech writers,

Using Frame 3.0 on unix, I made a set of scripts which create a
Global Index for as many manuals as you want. As we have some
problems generating large documents, putting all manuals in one
bookfile is no option for us (generating this would take longer
than doing it all by hand).

The scripts assume an special index for each manual with
abbreviation for the page numbers. The scripts (unix awk, sed
and sort) combine the indices to a global (text) index. Some
global search and replace in Frame completes the Global Index.

It works good for me, is quicker (half a day instead of about
a week of cutting and pasting) but has some drawbacks:
- It sorts differently than frame does,
- It uses unix,
- It is tested only with Frame3.0 (I modify it if we get
Frame4.0).

I will send it to anyone who is interested (and maybe solve
some of the drawbacks :-) ). The package has currently the
shape if a Frame document (being the manual) with the
scripts as appendices.

Greetings

Fred Jan Kraan, fjkr -at- wmt -dot- nl