Re: Info Mapping

Subject: Re: Info Mapping
From: Linda Anderson <CatBallou2 -at- AOL -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 21 Feb 1995 21:43:52 -0500

George Taylor wrote:
>Information Mapping is excellent for ordering and presenting >procedural
information. It seems to be less effective when I am >trying to define a
concept or use a graphic in relation to a >procedure.

I've had great success with Info Mapping techniques regardless of whether
I've been defining concepts or using graphics, but like everything else, I've
had to bend the rules a bit to make it always work to my advantage.

One thing to consider when using Info Mapping techniques (or anything else,
for that matter) is that there are no hard and fast rules that can be applied
across the board. One can become so engrossed in the process that they forget
why they're using it in the first place.

Information Mapping is not cast in stone and it's not the god of writing.
It's a guide (and a darn good one in my humble opinion) that can be applied
to nearly anything you need written. If all of us had this innate sixth sense
about how to organize information into easily digestible bites, it wouldn't
be necessary. But we aren't all blessed with that. So we're given a guide
that, when used with a little of our own common sense, can enable us to
produce information that anyone can understand and follow. :)