Re: A Test to Select Competent technical Writers

Subject: Re: A Test to Select Competent technical Writers
From: David Dubin <David_Dubin -at- NOTES -dot- PW -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 3 Mar 1995 10:30:40 PST

>Mr. Dubin are you a test expert? Any lawyer worth his or her salt would
>eat you alive in court. Do you have any professional training in test
>theory, practices and methodolgies? Do you have any academic training in
>such a science? Have you published any such papers in said science? Are
>you aware of the Federal laws and regulations regarding preemployment
>testing?

I would not consider myself a test expert. However, with over 18 years
experience as an instructor, trainer, classroom teacher, and honors graduate,
I do consider myself a subject matter expert and, therefore, competent to
create and analyze a simple test which is designed to test the ability of the
"writer" to read and understand a simple instruction set and to organize a
set of topics into a structure that makes sense to others.

Your reply makes an automatic assumption that any test, if not created,
administered, and analyzed by an expert in testing is invalid. Any subject
matter expert is able to test an individual to determine that individual's
subject matter expertise without the fear of looming litigation or the
torture of torts. Were this not the case, every teacher, instructor, trainer,
or prospective employer would be hauled off into court for impersonating a
psychologist or other testing expert.

The federal regulations provide that, if the test does not bias a "protected
group", if it is relevant to the prospect's employment duties and
responsibilities, and if it is not the single factor in the determination of
employment, the test is not in violation. If one hires technical writers to
write software, hardware, and communications documentation; and if the
writer's ability to present information in an ordered, procedural, and
logical manner is key to the success of the position and department; and s
ince my background and training is in this field, I really think that a
lawyer would find me very unappealing as a dish. But thank you for your
concern.

I do agree with your basic premise, however. If tests are not designed and
executed within the scope of the law, a candidate could have reason for
recourse.

David Dubin
This has been one man's opinion, yours may vary with mileage, age, or
disposition.