Re: A Test to Select Competent technical Writers

Subject: Re: A Test to Select Competent technical Writers
From: Gwen Barnes <gwen -dot- barnes -at- MUSTANG -dot- COM>
Date: Sat, 4 Mar 1995 00:21:00 GMT

-> Mr. Dubin are you a test expert? Any lawyer worth his or her salt wou
-> eat you alive in court. Do you have any professional training in test
-> theory, practices and methodolgies? Do you have any academic training
-> such a science? Have you published any such papers in said science? A
-> you aware of the Federal laws and regulations regarding preemploymen
-> testing?

I wonder if the folks who oppose pre-employment competency testing so
vigorously would be better off working for lawyers???

In the particular position we are looking to fill here, we need someone
who will be able to fit in to the established work cycle, and who can
produce to our standards.

Almost everyone who is hired here has to relocate from somewhere else,
and if a new-hire washes out, there aren't many other opportunities in
the same field in reasonable commuting distance. So we don't want to
waste everyone's time and money hiring the wrong person.

If lawyers think it's unfair to expect prospective employees to
demonstrate the skill necessary to do the job before we hire them, what
other ways should we be looking at to avoid hiring people whose main
communication skill seems to be selling themselves well during job
interviews?

Cheers, @DISCLAIMER@
Gwen gwen -dot- barnes -at- mustang -dot- com
MSI * Connecting the world 805-873-2500