QUERY: use of term "freshman/freshmen"

Subject: QUERY: use of term "freshman/freshmen"
From: "Matthew B. Hicks" <matt -at- UNIDATA -dot- UCAR -dot- EDU>
Date: Mon, 6 Mar 1995 10:38:11 -0700

First off, please don't turn this into another debate over political
correctness. I'm editing an article for our newsletter and the author has
used the term "freshman meteorology majors". I seem to recall hearing
that the shifting tides of inclusive language have rendered "freshman" a
deprecated term. Is the trend in fact towards referring to these students
as "first-year students"? And does "first-year meteorology majors" mean
the same thing as "freshman meteorology majors"? (The latter question is,
I suppose, more a matter of opinion, so debate away on that one.)

Again, I don't want to debate whether current trends in usage are
foolishness or rampant oversensitivity or what-have-you. I'm interested
in hearing from people who commonly deal with these terms and know what
the current practice is. It really doesn't matter to me what the
underlying politics are; if people in the academic community see
"freshman" as a term from bygone days and are expecting to see "first-
year students", then that's what I want to use.

If anyone wants to rage against the machine, I cannot of course stop them
from doing so, but I won't be drawn into the debate.

Matt Hicks, Tech. Writer, Unidata * I may not agree with what you
Boulder, CO, (303)497-8676, ******* say, but I'll defend to the
matt -at- unidata -dot- ucar -dot- edu ************* death my right to mock you.