Re: Contracting to start with

Subject: Re: Contracting to start with
From: David Demyan <concord -at- IX -dot- NETCOM -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 8 Mar 1995 07:34:35 -0800

You wrote:

>My question is, what can I do to maximize my chances of being hired
>permanently? I *really* liked the company, the group, and the work. Is
>it a mistake to push the full-time business when we discuss the
>contract? (That is, suggest that I would like to discuss a permanent
>job again at the completion of the contract?)

>Or is being considered for a contract when there is a full-time job
>the kiss of death for that company?

>Any sort of advice is welcome!

Karen,

You asked for *any sort of advice,* so here goes. I view the contract
vs. permanent question from a different light. I started in my career
as a low paid contractor, went permanent, then went back to contracting
at much higher rates. I think this had to do with experience. At first,
I had little, gained more through the permanent work, then was
experienced enough to consider myself a *consultant.* This had a
dramatic effect on rates.

Bottom line: either way you go, you'll get a *career,* such as it is,
with that company. If you go contract, my advice is to get much more
money per annum than quoted as a permanent employee -- at least 1.5
times base salary. Be careful if they want to plug you into a selected
contract company; look over any contracts carefully and don't be shy
about making changes.

Best of luck.

Dave Demyan *** Mendem Concord, Inc.
(908) 753-8500 *** One Mountain Blvd.
concord -at- ix -dot- netcom -dot- com *** Warren, NJ 07059
FAX: (908) 754-8224