Re: Resume vs. cv

Subject: Re: Resume vs. cv
From: John Renish <John -dot- Renish -at- CONNER -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 6 Mar 1995 10:24:11 PST

Jan's response was to a writer in Israel. In much of the world, especially
in former colonies, job seekers do not use the resume because employers
expect the cv. Even a short cv in those countries runs to two or more pages.
Employers also expect to see details Americans think are nobody's damn
business; e.g., marital status, number of children, even religion.

We Americans have a world-view that celebrates the individual and
demonstrations of competence, but in many countries a communal-family view
seeks good fits through social or family relationships, with individuality
and competence being secondary qualifications. Guess what, that works, too.
After having lived in such a society for nearly three years, I am no longer
convinced we have the *only* way of looking at life.

So, if you are applying for a job in much of Europe, the Middle East, Africa,
or Asia, expect to submit a cv and to tell much more than is even legal,
not to mention prudent, in the US.

John -dot- Renish -at- conner -dot- com
My statements are my own and do not represent Conner Peripherals, Inc.
Original Text