Re: Resume vs. cv

Subject: Re: Resume vs. cv
From: Deborah Kluge <kluge -at- CLARK -dot- NET>
Date: Mon, 6 Mar 1995 15:22:02 -0500

At 10:03 AM 3/6/95 PST, Marc Santacroce wrote:
>My understanding is that the Curriculum Vitae (Life History) is used mostly
>in academia (includes published material). I also know that at east some
>U.S. Congressmen require a CV when hiring staffers. Are there any other
>industries that require such detailed background and job histories?

I do a lot of technical work for various international development agencies
and also prepare proposals for funding from these groups. They all require
very detailed CVs, and they refer to them as CVs. The U.S. Agency for
International Development (USAID) is particularly stringent with regard to
this: for proposals, they not only want a detailed CV, but they also want a
"resume" in the form of a narrative. For "key personnel" being proposed for
a position, this narrative can run from 1-2 pages; for short-term
consultants, it is usually a paragraph. Finally, every proposed staff
member and consultant must fill out what is called a "Biographical Data
Sheet" This form is sort of a summary of the CV. The narrative resume is
put in the body of the proposal; the CV is attached as an appendix along
with the Biodata Sheet. In most instances, the people being proposed are
not academics; they are regular people who specialize in various aspects of
international development. All in all, the process is a real pain, extra
work, and a waste of paper.

In addition, there is always a lot of confusion as to which is the singular
and which is the plural (curricula vita or curriculum vitae). Some people
use the singular, some use the plural, and others use a bit of both.

Debbie
Debbie Kluge *************** kluge -at- clark -dot- net *********** Columbia, MD