Re: Testing

Subject: Re: Testing
From: "Susan W. Gallagher" <sgallagher -at- STARBASECORP -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 6 Mar 1995 14:11:45 -0800

Nancy Hoft writes...

> Judging someone's writing skills based on her or his resume seems
> a bit odd. I've written dozens of resumes for people as well as
> edited them. Add to this all of the resume writing services out there,
> and the outplacement firms, not to mention the dozens of books on resume
> writing that provide template resumes--I can't see how evaluating a resume
> helps you assess a writer's writing skills.

You'd be surprised how many *really bad* resumes I've seen
from tech writers! You really can tell a lot by looking at
the resume. I don't think anyone but a technical writer (and
a good one at that) remembers to keep parallel construction
in a bulleted list.

If a resume is well written (i.e., parallel construction in
bulleted lists, agreement in tense and person, all those
nit-picky english-nerdy things) either you know how to write
or you take criticism/suggestions to heart. Either one is
ok by me.

[snip]>
> Writing ability... Seems to me that many of us would not agree on writing
> ability. Just like many developers wouldn't be able to agree on what
> constitutes a good software program.

Yes, it's difficult to agree on an industry-wide standard,
but much more easy on a company-wide or department-wide
standard or goal. You may not get the best in the world, but
then again, you may not *want* the best in the world. What you
want is someone who'll fit in -- both in writing style and in
personality and work style. This is a more attainable and more
desirable goal for the hiring process.

> I've been consulting and contracting for about 7 years now. The testing
> goes both ways. I've had some dismal contracts--some that made a month
> seem like a decade, and paying taxes seem like it was my birthday.
> I've just gotten better at interviewing the interviewers--mostly because
> of bad experiences.

Yes, the interviewing really does need to go both ways. That's why,
when I'm on the being-hired end, I plant some stuff in my resume
that's designed to turn-off the kind of employer I know I don't want
to work for.

> Hiring experienced writers with good references from a variety of sources
> seems as close to a guarantee as you can get. Hiring college grads in a
> startup situation--well, you're sort of asking to do a lot of training
> and mentoring.

> Lots of good technical writers had good mentors--people who gave them
> constructive feedback, people who encouraged them to query and listen to
> users, people who encouraged them to try out the product and be a
> proactive part of the developement team, people who encouraged them to do
> usability testing, people who encouraged them to join professional
> societies, take continuing education courses, attend seminars, and so on.

And when given the choice between someone who belongs to
STC and someone who doesn't, I'll probably choose the STC
member. Why? Because someone who takes the time to belong
to a professional society like STC is constantly exposed to
new ideas and methods and is less likely to be firmly\
entrenched in the past. Give me someone who's not afraid to
learn! Society membership says that to me.

Sue Gallagher
StarBase Corp, Irvine CA
sgallagher -at- starbasecorp -dot- com