Re: Preferring STC Members

Subject: Re: Preferring STC Members
From: Caryn Rizell <caryn -at- HPPTC95 -dot- ROSE -dot- HP -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 7 Mar 1995 09:46:43 PST

I feel I must stand up for STC. Yes, the journal is hard to
read and very dry, but there is sometimes useful information
in it. There is a task force working on improving
the journal for the membership.

But, I consider $95 to be a valuable investment for my career,
employed or unemployed. You can have access to job information
through STC even if you aren't a member, but you gain so much
more by being a member.

At least it has helped me tremendously. I consider myself
a far better communicator as a result of my STC membership,
which includes more than just membership. It means that
I attend meetings, meet other communicators, share ideas,
attend STC conferences, and develop myself. I don't feel
that I would have advanced as much without the ability
to network regularly with other technical communicators
and keep abreast of what is going on in the field.

Certainly STC membership alone does not make you a better writer.
STC membership only has value when you put more into STC
than your dues. The journal and newsletters by themselves
won't do much for you. It is meeting other communicators
and sharing ideas that makes the difference.

I will get off of my soapbox now!

Caryn Rizell
caryn -at- hpptc95 -dot- rose -dot- hp -dot- com