Plurals of Compound Terms

Subject: Plurals of Compound Terms
From: Beverly Parks <bparks -at- HUACHUCA-EMH1 -dot- ARMY -dot- MIL>
Date: Thu, 9 Mar 1995 07:28:16 MST

"Arlen P. Walker" <Arlen -dot- P -dot- Walker -at- JCI -dot- COM> said...

(based on this question from someone else)
Would it be CDs-ROM, like attorneys general, as a co-worker
of mine insists?
Or has the acronym (is that right, Jan?) become a word in
its own right, making the plural CD-ROMs?

I'd plump for the latter, for the reason that it's *not* a CD,
it's a CD-ROM.

But then, I'd argue against the first. (yes,
I'd still do "-ys-at-law," but I'd argue that "general" makes
it a different beast than "-at-law.") ;{>}
=========
It is most definitely attorneys general, just as much as it is
commanders in chief, sergeants major, and notaries public.

=*= Beverly Parks =*= bparks -at- huachuca-emh1 -dot- army -dot- mil =*=
=*= "Unless otherwise stated, all comments are my own. =*=
=*= I am not representing my employer in any way." =*=