Re: Init/Abbrev/Acron

Subject: Re: Init/Abbrev/Acron
From: Sue Heim <SUE -at- RIS -dot- RISINC -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 10 Mar 1995 09:41:31 PST

Arlen wrote:
> It's an initialism, not an acronym nor an abbreviation.
> To be an abbreviation it would be "C. V." To be an acronym, it
> would have to be prounceable. A collection of initials
<snip>

And then Beverly Parks wrote:
> RSVP is considered an abbreviation--not an initialism--yet it
> has no periods. Also, IBM and FBI. They follow the rules of
> initialisms in that each letter is pronounced.

At any rate, I didn't think we used periods anymore when
abbreviating. For example, USA is no longer abbreviated with periods.
Unfortunately my brain is sick right now and I can't think of any
other examples, although I know there are bunches...

Sue Heim
RIS
Email: Sue -at- ris -dot- risinc -dot- com