Job Search Methods, was Re: Testing

Subject: Job Search Methods, was Re: Testing
From: Laurie Rubin <lmr -at- SYL -dot- NJ -dot- NEC -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 14 Mar 1995 07:23:56 -0500

My husband is an electronics engineer who prefers working for small companies
-- usually these are the ones that run out of money for R&D after two years.
So, in the last 11 years, he has been layed off 5 times (almost as many times
as my contract jobs). Most of the jobs he has found have been through the
classifieds.
One year ago, he actually did not have a job on the final day of work, and
ended up going to a professional service group at the unemployment office.
They, too,
discussed the hidden market, making cold calls to companies, getting lists of
companies in our area and calling or sending a "get to know what I can do for
you" letter. No, he did not find a hidden market, nor was the cold calling or
letter writing useful.
After 6 months searching, another classified ad landed him a job!

Personally, I have never found classifieds to be successful. On the other hand,
networking (via consulting firms/contract jobs, previous colleagues
recommending me to consulting firms, previous supervisors asking for me) has
been the most successful method for me.

Laurie