[no subject]

From: Laurie Rubin <lmr -at- SYL -dot- NJ -dot- NEC -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 15 Mar 1995 09:26:42 -0500

Subject: Job Search Alternatives
--------

Bottom line, try all methods, don't get frustrated, and keep plugging. No one
method seems to work for everyone!

One method of networking that requires a little CHUZPAH (more aggressiveness)
is to keep your ears open and talk to anyone you meet -- friends, people in
service-related jobs (hair stylists, doctors, dentists, print shops, etc.),
people wandering the aisles in bookstores -- especially near technical
documentation --, even try to "eavesdrop" on lunch goers' conversations in
food courts that are centrally located in a commercial area.

At one point during a slow job search period, I used this method. I actually
got 5 leads (even one from the eavesdropping method -- you know, excuse me for
overhearing, but,...); in fact, this method of networking landed me one of my
successful, long term contracts (2 years): I had informed a friend of mine who
is a dental hygienist, who found out that one of her patients worked for a
company who was just beginning a job search for a tech writer!
Laurie