Re: FORMAT: Blank Pages

Subject: Re: FORMAT: Blank Pages
From: Beverly Parks <bparks -at- HUACHUCA-EMH1 -dot- ARMY -dot- MIL>
Date: Tue, 14 Mar 1995 07:59:08 MST

About the statement "This page intentionally left blank," Marc
Santacroce wrote--

My understanding is that the terminology is derived from
Department of Defense publications practices. Each page of a
classified document must be stamped with the highest
classification of both page sides. There could conceivably
be a classified odd page on the same piece of paper as an
unclassified even page. The unclassified page would still be
stamped SECRET (or whatever the appropriate classification
is), but to clarify that no classified material was missing,
the annotation: "This Page Intentionally Left Blank" would
appear on the blank page.

You may be (and probably are) right as to the origin of the
statement, but its use has long since seeped into
other--unclassified--government documents.

=*= Beverly Parks =*= bparks -at- huachuca-emh1 -dot- army -dot- mil =*=
=*= "Unless otherwise stated, all comments are my own. =*=
=*= I am not representing my employer in any way." =*=