Re: Blank pages

Subject: Re: Blank pages
From: Beverly Parks <bparks -at- HUACHUCA-EMH1 -dot- ARMY -dot- MIL>
Date: Tue, 14 Mar 1995 08:17:16 MST

Tammy Hale wrote the indented excerpts--

>I think many manuals have blank pages that read "This page
intentionally left blank" so that readers do not wonder
if a piece of information (sentence, paragraph, section,
graphic) is missing. Some documents I've read have been so
poorly written that I appreciated at least that much
assistance in figuring the text out.

I agree. Even in well-written documents, if the last page of the
chapter (before the "blank" page) is full, the "intentionalism"
of the blank page may not be so obvious. It's best to just not
use the blanks, IMO.

>However, I'm assuming that your document is *not* poorly
written. In this case, I think the "blank" pages (which are
NOT blank after you've written "This page intentionally left
blank" on them) are distracting, and humorous at best.

Government readers of government documents are probably so used
to seeing them, that I don't think the "blank" pages are distracting.
However, they are humorous.

>I also do not agree that the environmental impact is slight, as
someone stated. The number of customers who will receive your
document, multiplied by the number of "blank" pages you use is
quite a number of pages. (You will also save your employer
some money by having fewer total pages.) And most importantly,
it will not affect the quality of your document.

And multiply that by the number of people/companies who think
the same way. No, the environmental impact is probably much more
than slight.

=*= Beverly Parks =*= bparks -at- huachuca-emh1 -dot- army -dot- mil =*=
=*= "Unless otherwise stated, all comments are my own. =*=
=*= I am not representing my employer in any way." =*=