Sunday's Dilbert

Subject: Sunday's Dilbert
From: "Dave L. Meek's User Account" <dave -at- DISC-SYNERGY -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 14 Mar 1995 13:52:09 -0800

Mike Johnson writes:
I didn't like the cartoon for four reasons:
1. It wasn't even mildly funny.
2. It maligns women. (My fuse is rather short on this one: I
have four daughters)
3. It maligns tech writers.
4. I paid good money to get insulted.

I agree with his first point; I didn't find the cartoon funny
either. But my two fellow tech writers, both of whom are women,
thought it was hilarious. Humor is often highly subjective.

I disagree with his last points. I don't see how the cartoon is
making evil or injurious statements about women or tech writers.
(Would it have been better to have a male electrician as the butt
of the joke?) I thought it was just a failed attempt at humor. Most
jokes require an object of attention. If I penned a cartoon
about a beseiged tech writer, I'd probably make a programmer the
butt of most of my jokes. 'tis the nature of the beast.

I didn't feel insulted at all. This particular list frequently
airs negative comments about managers, programmers, engineers,
human-resource-types, etc. I think it's only natural that they
would have similar feelings toward tech writers.

I think tech writers are strong enough to handle good-natured
jokes, even if the jokes aren't funny.

Dave Meek