Re. Vertical text

Subject: Re. Vertical text
From: Geoff Hart <geoff-h -at- MTL -dot- FERIC -dot- CA>
Date: Wed, 15 Mar 1995 09:36:44 LCL

Jo Davidsmeyer asked paraphrase about whether to run vertical text
from the bottom to the top, or vice versa.
In my experience, I've never seen text run from top to bottom when
printed vertically. There doesn't seem to be any really good reason
for this other than convention: it shouldn't matter whether you rotate
the book clockwise or counterclockwise to read the text... although if
we assume that we instinctively turn things clockwise, it makes sense
to run text from bottom to top.
A compromise that might end your war: Run the text horizontally, as
a header or footer. (Might not fit your design, but worth a try.)
Horizontal text is always easier to read, so why not opt for ease of
use?

--Geoff Hart #8^{)} <---OK, OK, so this horizontal text _isn't_
easy to read... the real thing ain't easy to look at either!