Re.: Use of online color

Subject: Re.: Use of online color
From: Geoff Hart <geoff-h -at- MTL -dot- FERIC -dot- CA>
Date: Wed, 15 Mar 1995 09:06:42 LCL

Dan Wensel wrote <paraphrase> to ask about the use of color to
distinguish mandatory fields and fields that have been edited on
certain windows.

There are many problems with using color, but to be brief, you can
still use it if you're careful.

Problem 1: Colorblind users: If you use color, verify that the same
display works well on a monochrome screen. (This means that the
display will work even for most colorblind users.)

Problem 2: I find that color helps me label things primarily in
drawing/painting programs and games. In "fill in the blanks" forms,
it's rarely useful and generally doesn't meet my aesthetic standards
Not that I'm Mr. aesthetics, but people won't always like your color
choices. If you use color, let users change the defaults.

Possible solution: Rearrange your screen display so that mandatory
fields occur together, with the field names in bold type. Put optional
fields elsewhere, either under a dialog box (Windows convention) or in
a separate grouping (Information Design convention). To show fields
that haven't yet been edited, consider using a light grey version of
the type (say, about 2/3 of full intensity), and change this to full
black (100% intensity) once the text has been edited. Finally, for
fields that _must_ be edited or filled out, consider adding a tiny
checkbox beside the field (always in the same place, say, to the
left): once the field has been filled in, add a tick or X to it
(Windows convention); if the user tries to leave the data entry screen
before all boxes are ticked off, pop up a friendly message that states
"all fields with check boxes must be filled in before finishing this
screen" (be friendlier... I was in a hurry!). Note: Combining these
techniques will be even more effective.

Final note: You don't need a consultant. Try a few variations, then
ask some of your users to test it for you. Usability testing can be
cheap: if your software is for accounting personnel, ask your
accountant to try it out; if it's for clerical staff, ask your clerics
(!) to try it out. They'll find out the problems real quick. Once
you've eliminated obvious problems, try a group of real users and see
what they think. TO be statistically valid, you should aim for 30 or
so people (for t-tests etc.) typical of your audience; for better
validity, stratify your test among the main groups of users (e.g.,
novices, experts) and aim for more than 30 in each group (for z-tests
etc.)

--Geoff Hart #8^{)} <--- effective information design