Page numbering: multiple volumes

Subject: Page numbering: multiple volumes
From: John McDermott <jjm -at- JKINTL -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 15 Mar 1995 11:36:29 PST

The page numbering discussion has been most interesting. What really irks
me, though, has not been discussed: page numbers extending over multiple
volumes. Some examples:
- An encyclopedia where pages are numbered 1-1 zillion.
- A magazine or journal where pages begin at 1 for the Jan issue, 87 for
Feb, etc.
- A technical manual where volume I has chapters 1-7 and volume II has
chaps 8-15 and the page number for the first usable page in vol II is
either 8-1 or 722. This makes using an index or TOC virtually impossible.
I have a few manual sets this way and I hate them every time I use them.

Why is this done? Do some of you like this, or is there agreement that
this is terrible?
--john
Name: John McDermott
E-mail: jjm -at- jkintl -dot- com (John McDermott)
Voice: +1 505/377-6293 FAX: +1 505/377-6313