Re: chapter-based numbering

Subject: Re: chapter-based numbering
From: John McDermott <jjm -at- JKINTL -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 15 Mar 1995 10:59:58 PST

Karla writes:
>I've been surprised at people who have said they like chapter-based
numbering
>(even in perfect bound books) because it lets them know what chapter
they're in.

Likewise, I am surprised at people who *don't* like it. I can understand
those who object in true perfect bound books, but the nicer tech reference
books are often comb bound so they can lay flat, and those work well with
chapter based numbering.

We could help alleviate the "what chapter" issue if more publishers put in
finger indices like old dictionaries. Is that just too expensive or what?

>First of all, I presumed that the chapter number would be prominently
displayed
>in the header or footer.

Good assumption if and only if there are headers and footers. One client
of mine has footers -- with only the page number (in chap - page format)
and headers -- with the page topic: no indication of the chapter number or
title.

While some docmentation may have meaningful headers and footers, much
reference material, educational material and other technical material just
does not. Remember, "technical writers" do *lots* of different things.

>But secondly, I was wondering why you care so much about what chapter
you're
>in? If it's a tutorial or other book meant to be read sequentially, do you
>really care about what chapter you're in (do you pay attention to this
when you
>read novels)? If it's a reference work, aren't you accessing information
from
>the index or table of contents (in which case sequential numbering makes
the
>task MUCH easier)?
First, why is sequential numbering any easier other than habit? I
just tried using the index in books numbered both ways, and I
cannot see a difference in speed or functionality between using
sequential or chap numbered pages. Using the TOC I found chapter numbering
easier. [Real broad test, huh?]

Actually there are two cases I can think of off the top of my head where I
use the chapter information heavily:
o Educational materials. I produce materials where each chapter is
(usually) a different topic. As one topic is taught students are often
referred to "Chapter 2, the underlyling network protocol" or some similar
thing. It seems students have a habit of foretting material taught just a
day or week earlier :-).

o "User guides". Software user guides often have chapters dedicated to
specific programs or features. For example, one System Administrator's
guide I use has chapters on mail, networking, etc. I *remember* that
chapter 7 is mail (or I can look in the TOC), but the index is of no help
if I cannot remember the command or what that vendor calls a "mail alias".
[FYI some people call an alias an alternative address.] So I just check
out the mail chapter.

Yes, I know I am in a strange position: I do technical writing and I am
*also* a user of technical documentation. I have an Engineering degree and
I'm a consultant so I use materials such as I produce. Twenty years of
using technical documents have made me sensative to how they're produced.

>Karla McMaster, technical writer
>CTI PET Systems, Inc., Knoxville, TN
>mcmaster -at- cti-pet -dot- com
--john

Name: John McDermott
E-mail: jjm -at- jkintl -dot- com (John McDermott)
Voice: +1 505/377-6293 FAX: +1 505/377-6313