Re: Readers in the real world

Subject: Re: Readers in the real world
From: SuePStewrt -at- AOL -dot- COM
Date: Thu, 16 Mar 1995 09:37:05 -0500

>>A number of people apparaently find it hard to believe that users might
not start at page one and read straight through to the end of one of
our docs -- especially one like an IG, where you really don't want to
miss anything.<<

Arthur, I don't believe *anyone* actually said this. What was said was that
there *are* technical documents which are read straight through, contrary to
a postulated "tenet" that *no one* ever read *any* technical document in that
way.

Can we all please avoid turning observations into absolutes and so creating
specious debates? Sometimes I think that if someone mentioned in passing
that the majority of doc is printed in black ink on white paper, *someone*
would start a thread demanding to know why anyone would think colored ink
wasn't allowed!

sue stewart
suepstewrt -at- aol -dot- com