Re: Dilbert Cartoon

Subject: Re: Dilbert Cartoon
From: Linda Anderson <CatBallou2 -at- AOL -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 16 Mar 1995 20:33:49 -0500

Sunday's Dilbert reminds me of something that happened to me several years
ago. I was writing user manuals for a surgical table. At certain points I
would put the manual out for review to 8 different individuals. Only 1 or 2
ever came back with any changes. Suspicious about this, I decided to conduct
a test of "reading comprehension" among my reviewers.

On a page in which I had to explain to the user how the table top could be
reversed in certain situations, I inserted a paragraph stating something to
the effect that after the table top had been reversed, the operating room
staff should send out for pizza and beer to celebrate the fact that no one
had gotten a hernia while trying to change this unwieldy and heavy table top.
I threw in that they should also hire in dancers.

Only 1 copy came back with a comment, and he though it was a great idea!

I don't recommend this as a standard tactic, but I sure learned a lot and
there were a lot of red faces at our next team meeting!