Re: Using the Sunday paper

Subject: Re: Using the Sunday paper
From: Richard Lippincott <rlippinc -at- BEV -dot- ETN -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 16 Mar 1995 18:26:42 EST

Then Shelly LaRock wrote:

>Then it's OK to do this? I've sent resumes out to companies
>that I know hire tech writers (but weren't hiring at the time),
>but I haven't sent out any for ads looking for programmers.

I've done it, and I got my first tech writing job that way. I was looking for
a job in aerospace. I was checking ads in "Aviation Week & Space Technology."
When I spotted a company hiring design engineers, I'd send off my resume with
a letter that said something to the effect of "You didn't say you wanted tech
writers, but you're going to need some to write about the thing that the
design engineers are planning." Lockheed agreed, and hired me.

Rick Lippincott
Eaton Semiconductor
Beverly, MA
rlippinc -at- bev -dot- etn -dot- com