Revision Bars

Subject: Revision Bars
From: Robert Phillips <robp -at- SYDNEY -dot- DIALIX -dot- OZ -dot- AU>
Date: Tue, 21 Mar 1995 06:39:31 +1000

In an article yesterday Beverly Parks commented on the persistent rev
bars in Interleaf (this is posted from a different site from my receive
site).

We the same problem - still do on occasions when we are not
very careful about when we use the persistent setting. But we have a
simple solution (other than not use them). If you are running on a Unix
site or have access to the MKS Tool Kit utility, sed, for PCs, you can
do the following. Save the Interleaf document in ASCII and run the
following sed script (enter it as one line) on the file:

sed -e 's/\ -at- R//g;/<\!Revision Tracking,/d;
/Persistent Rev Bars = /d'
filename.doc > filename2.doc

If you want to automate it, you can use an awk script to check if the
file is in binary form, run a command line resave to ascii, execute the
above script (or awk equivalent) and resave the output as Interleaf
binary. Do not run the sed script on a binary version of the file - you
might never see the contents of the file again!

This might sound like a lot of work, but we produce MIL-SPEC docs
containing n,000 pages and we run that tool whenever we want to start a
new issue with no change bar history.

Bye.

Rob Phillips
Lasotell Pty Ltd Internet: robp -at- sydney -dot- dialix -dot- oz -dot- au
PO Box 97 Phone: +61-2-4895016
Wahroonga NSW 2076
AUSTRALIA STICK: n, a boomerang that wont work