Re: Dilbert Cartoon (and traps for reviewers)

Subject: Re: Dilbert Cartoon (and traps for reviewers)
From: Gwen Barnes <gwen -dot- barnes -at- MUSTANG -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 21 Mar 1995 22:45:26 GMT

-> I don't put inappropriate stuff in documents because I never know
-> when a review copy is going to be xeroxed. Remember, a review copy i
-> always newer than whatever the reviewer has already, and it doesn't
-> take long for copies to diffuse through the organization, and even
-> to customer sites, without your knowledge.

There is always the chance that something like that will make it into
the final version. I have in my posession a software manual that rambles
poetically (and irrelevantly) about the program's features, then
suddenly stops, and says

ASK ZACK FOR MORE HERE

then continues with more content-free narrative. If Zack had had a
chance to contribute, no doubt it would have said something rather than
nothing.

The moral of the story? Don't be a Zack. Don't put anything in your .DOC
files that would make you look like an idiot if it were to make its way
into print.