Re: "The" with proper nouns

Subject: Re: "The" with proper nouns
From: Emily Skarzenski <71220 -dot- 341 -at- COMPUSERVE -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 24 Mar 1995 10:59:37 EST

Sonja asked:

<snip>
>>>It really gets down to if there should be a *the* before the proper noun.<<<

I used to write documentation for a company that produced hardware products,
software products, and hardware products driven by software. Our references to
their names in documentation followed this pattern:

- Hardware products and hardware/software products: use *the*
- Software products: don't use *the*

Common usage supports this:

- She used the Clapper to turn off the light. (Wouldn't be right without "the.")
- You can spell-check manuals written in WordPerfect. (Wouldn't be right *with*
"the.")

Don't know why this system seems to work, but it does.

Emily Skarzenski
Head Technical Writer
Fastech, Inc. - Broomall, PA
71220 -dot- 341 -at- compuserve -dot- com