Re: Contractor Position, Central New jersey

Subject: Re: Contractor Position, Central New jersey
From: Jan Bates <bates -at- KINGFISH -dot- ATT -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 28 Mar 1995 13:48:00 -0500

Your Ref: 63-95-B

Charles,

I might be interested in the position you posted today. However, I
would not be available until July 17, 1995 at the earliest and would
prefer a slightly higher rate than you quoted ($45.00). In any
case I am attaching my resume and would appreciate a little more
information about the position if you have it, in particular the
location. I live in Monmouth County (Red Bank) and prefer not to
have a long commute.

I have been working as a technical writer for most of the past ten
years (some of that time was spent programming, some doing small
system administration). I have done most of my work in FrameMaker
under UNIX/X Windows, although I also run the Windows version of FM
at home under OS/2. The details of course are in my resume.

Sincerely

Jan
Jan Bates - Documentation Consultant Voice: 908 949-2311
ADSS - AT&T Bell Labs Fax: 908 949-4001
Holmdel NJ e-mail: bates -at- kingfish -dot- att -dot- com
These opinions are mine and mine alone

Janet Louise Bates

88 Bruce Road, Red Bank, NJ 07701
(Home) 908 842-7498
(Office) 908 842-2258

-----------------
o Position Sought

Seeking to expand my horizons in technical writing, technical translation, or
computer programming and analysis.

-----------------------------------
o Technical Writing and Translation

FrameMaker, WordPerfect, WebMaker, html, Word for Windows,
Arts&Letters, Cricket Draw, troff.

Fluent French and German. Some knowledge of Russian, Spanish, Cantonese,
and Farsi (Persian).

Softronics Corporation (Red Bank, NJ) 1985-Present

OwnerManager--Major projects:

- Sole technical writer for group in major long-distance telecommunications
company producing optimization software for the airline industry.

Writing, production, and maintenance of user documentation for suite
of software products using FrameMaker 4.0 on a Sun-4 fileserver and
IBM X-station.

Design of user-interface screens for new features added to the
product.

Maintenance of technical "man" pages for all software products using
troff.

Pilot project to convert user documents to on-line format for use with
FrameViewer.

Development of internal "home page" for Mosaic using html.

Miscellaneous internal procedures: customer support procedures,
UNIX environment set-up for new employees.

Editing of all technical memoranda.

- Writing and production of 250-page reference manual and 28-page quick
guide for PC software product. Used WordPerfect 5.1 and Arts&Letters on a
PC.

- Documentation of a network management software system written in 'C'
under Unix for a major telecommunications research laboratory. Started
project in troff, later selected FrameMaker as troff replacement for use on a
Sun-3 workstation.

- Technical documentation of telephone directory delivery system for regional
telephone company.

SCETIRAN Consulting Engineers (Tehran, Iran) 1976-77

Manager of Document Preparation and Chief Translator.

- Hired and supervised auxiliary translators; directed typists; scheduled
document reproduction.

-----------------------------------
o Computer Programming and Analysis

PC software, text processing, financial systems, computer networks.

Unix system administration, project management.

MS-DOS, Windows 3.0, SunOS Unix, Datapoint DOS/RMS, IBM
VM/CMS.

Pascal, C, 80x86 Assembler, Datapoint Databus, Cobol.

Alpha-Four, Paradox, Quattro Pro.

Softronics Corporation (Red Bank, NJ) 1985-Present

OwnerManager--Major projects:

- Development of word processing and file-management software for
MS-DOS in Turbo Pascal and 808x assembler.

- System administration of small group of Sun workstations, running SunOS
Unix, 4.2 BSD.

- Providing a customer relations database system in Dbase III for a bank.

- Installing a loan management and financial management system for Japan
Security Pacific in Tokyo.

RCP Consulting (Kowloon, Hong Kong) 1981-85

Project Manager 1983-85

- Re-design and implementation of Loan Management System (tracking of
multiple loan types for a credit finance company).

- Client relations for all customers using RCP's Loan Management System and
Financial Management System (comprehensive general purpose accounting
package).

AnalystProgrammer 1982-83

- Client representative, analyst, and programmer for Financial Management
System.

Programmer 1981-82

- Team member and then principal programmer for Loan Management System.

Lambda Technology (now GE Information Systems, Piscataway, NJ) 1980-81

Programmer

- Conversion of JCL from OS/VS1 to MVS for publisher; programming for
AT&T stock swap; in-house teaching and course designing; technical support
for major software development team using Librarian, TSO, and Unix.

INSCO (now Continental Data Systems, Neptune, NJ) 1979-80

Programmer

- Maintenance of international reinsurance systems using Cobol, Librarian,
Easytrieve, VM/CMS, OS/JCL

-----------------------------
o Teaching and Course-Writing

Experience in teaching grammar, phonetics, and drama to young adults and
adults.

Development of home-study materials with particular emphasis on the
phonetics of English.

British Council and Iranian National Air Force Language School (Tehran, Iran)
1975-76

English Language Instructor

- Taught evening and day classes for the British Council.

- Taught young Air Force recruits, using US Department of Defense teaching
materials.

DIFF Deutsches Institut f|r Fernstudien (T|bingen, Germany) 1972-75

Correspondence Course Writer

- Wrote the phonetics part of a home-study course to improve the English
teaching skills of German high school teachers.

University of Nancy (Nancy, France) 1971-73

English Language Teaching Assistant

- Taught English grammar and phonetics courses to undergraduates majoring in
English. Assisted with English drama classes.

o Education/Personal

B. A. (Honors), French with Russian, Bradford University, Bradford, UK
(1971)

British national, U.S. naturalized citizen, married, no children.

Bulletin editor, League of Women Voters of Middletown, NJ and Monmouth
County ILO (Inter-League Organization)