Opinions, please: Sizing illustrations

Subject: Opinions, please: Sizing illustrations
From: Mark Levinson <mark -at- SD -dot- CO -dot- IL>
Date: Wed, 29 Mar 1995 15:06:55 IST

I'd like to know people's opinions on this, and organizations'
styles if any:

We write documentation that includes screen captures. Sometimes
we capture rather a small part of the screen, sometimes we
capture almost the entire screen.

We have a draft booklet circulating in which the each screen
snapshot is allowed to more-or-less fill the text margins. The
screen graphics may be reduced to any factor from about 50% to
about 95%, depending on how much of the screen was captured.
The advantage is that everything is always shown as big and
clear as we can show it, using the full width of the page.

To me, such a system seems sloppy, anarchic, amateurish.
Procrustean. I would expect that things that are the same
size on the screen should be shown at the same relative
magnification in the documentation, even if some illustrations
wind up using less than the maximum space we could afford to give
them.

Just as we choose a particular size of type for body text or
headings-- we choose it on its merits and we stick to it
rather than rollercoastering as space permits-- we should do
the same when it comes to magnification of material from the
screen, giving our documentation a consistent look.

Or shouldn't we?

Mark L. Levinson | E-mail: mark -at- sd -dot- co -dot- il
Summit Design (EDA) Ltd. | Voice: +972-9-507102, ext. 230 (work),
Box 544 | +972-9-552411 (home)
46105 Herzlia, ISRAEL | Fax: +972-9-509118