Re: Opinions, please: Sizing illustrations

Subject: Re: Opinions, please: Sizing illustrations
From: Beverly Parks <bparks -at- HUACHUCA-EMH1 -dot- ARMY -dot- MIL>
Date: Wed, 29 Mar 1995 07:50:19 MST

Mark Levinson wrote--
We write documentation that includes screen captures. Sometimes
we capture rather a small part of the screen, sometimes we
capture almost the entire screen.
(snip)
We have a draft booklet circulating in which the each screen
snapshot is allowed to more-or-less fill the text margins. The
(snip)
Just as we choose a particular size of type for body text or
headings-- we choose it on its merits and we stick to it
rather than rollercoastering as space permits-- we should do
the same when it comes to magnification of material from the
screen, giving our documentation a consistent look.
I agree with you, Mark, that the magnification should be
consistent. If someone has determined that the magnification of
the full-screen captures are of sufficient size for the readers,
there's no need to make the partial-screeen captures any larger.

Plus, as a reader of such a document as you describe, I would
find the alternating magnification sizes *very* disorienting!

=*= Beverly Parks =*= bparks -at- huachuca-emh1 -dot- army -dot- mil =*=
=*= "Unless otherwise stated, all comments are my own. =*=
=*= I am not representing my employer in any way." =*=