Re: Instructions to "Be Patient" from a Machine

Subject: Re: Instructions to "Be Patient" from a Machine
From: Bev Parks <bparks -at- HUACHUCA-EMH1 -dot- ARMY -dot- MIL>
Date: Fri, 31 Mar 1995 19:56:52 MST

Robert Plamondon wrote--
>It's pretty obnoxious for a machine to lecture you on what mental
state you ought to be adopting. I would prefer a bland and factual
"The next step will take several minutes. Please wait."

I don't see much difference between "Be patient" and "Please
wait." Just as someone may be put off by a machine suggesting a
mental state, I may be put off by a machine asking me to wait.
Unless I'm patient by nature, I may not *want* to wait. ;-)

>The user is in a better position to determine how best to pass the
time than the software will be. I think we can safely trust the
user's discretion.

I'm not so sure...I very recently experienced a user who threw
his workstation out a window by the mere suggestion that he had
another think coming. <Ahem>

>(I'm also tired of installation programs that make annoying
suggestions during the wait, such as, "This might be a good time
to fill our your registration card, even though you bought this
upgrade directly from the manufacturer, and are going to be deluged
with junk mail for the rest of your life anyway.")

I agree on this one. I'm tired of those messages, too.

=*= Beverly Parks =*= bparks -at- huachuca-emh1 -dot- army -dot- mil =*=
=*= "These opinions are mine, not my employer's." =*=