Re: Correct Grammar

Subject: Re: Correct Grammar
From: Bev Parks <bparks -at- HUACHUCA-EMH1 -dot- ARMY -dot- MIL>
Date: Thu, 30 Mar 1995 19:07:15 MST

> Here's one for all of you English "Experts". With the following poem:

> "On the beach of indecision
> lay the bleached bones of thousands
> Who with victory in sight
> Sat down to think about it"

> On the third line should the first word be Who or should it be When?

"Who" is correct (though it is lacking proper punctuation.)

"With victory in sight" is an interrupter and unnecessary for
the sentence. "When ... sat down to think about it" doesn't
make any sense unless you added the word "they" before "sat."

Just my guess...

=*= Beverly Parks =*= bparks -at- huachuca-emh1 -dot- army -dot- mil =*=
=*= "These opinions are mine, not my employer's." =*=