Re[2]: RE> Contractions & Traslat

Subject: Re[2]: RE> Contractions & Traslat
From: Douglas Thayer <douglas_thayer -at- SMTPLINK -dot- SYSCOM -dot- COM -dot- TW>
Date: Fri, 7 Apr 1995 10:23:23 EST

Karen's observation regarding Japanese is also true for Chinese. In my
11 years of dealing with non-native speakers of English on Taiwan, I
have never heard of anyone having a misunderstanding based on the use
of a contraction. There may be problems with writing for a foreign
audience, but this is not one of them.

Douglas Thayer
<douglas_thayer -at- smtplink -dot- syscom -dot- com -dot- tw>
Taipei, Taiwan, R.O.C.

Subject: Re: RE> Contractions & Traslat
Author: Karen Kay <karenk -at- NETCOM -dot- COM> at smtplink-syscom
Date: 4/7/95 6:18 AM

> Several Asian languages have no contractions at all making the
> translation difficult.

Uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh... I only know two Asian languages, one not well.
The lack of contractions is the least of the problems when translating
from English. I don't do English -> Japanese translation because I'm
not a native speaker of Japanese, but the problems I have going from
Japanese to English have largely to do with the fact that the subject
of a sentence is rarely identified, and the fact that Japanese doesn't
have tenses. I imagine those problems would be the same going the
other way.

Karen
karenk -at- netcom -dot- com