Career longevity

Subject: Career longevity
From: "Shelly M. LaRock" <smlarock -at- MTU -dot- EDU>
Date: Mon, 10 Apr 1995 19:29:40 EDT

Hi Everyone,

I've been lurking for a while because I'm busy getting
ready to graduate and join you in the ranks of professional
technical writing!

I was reading the misc.writing newsgroup a few weeks ago
and read a posting by someone saying that it's rare for
a tech writer to stay at a job for more than 2 or 3 years.
His reasons for the short stays were that companies usually
let TW's go after a short time, not because the TW quits
or takes a different job.

Is this true??? I realize that it's possible for anyone
to get let go from a job, but this guy made it sound like
this is the norm, and that there's no TW's out there who
can keep a job for more than a couple of years.

Just curious, and hoping for a longer lasting job.

Shelly La Rock
smlarock -at- mtu -dot- edu