Thanks! Car. Long.

Subject: Thanks! Car. Long.
From: "Shelly M. LaRock" <smlarock -at- MTU -dot- EDU>
Date: Tue, 11 Apr 1995 12:12:22 EDT

Thanks to everyone who eased my mind about career longevity.
After writing to the gentleman who posted the original message
on misc.writing, I received a reply stating that 20 years
in the business is where he got his information from.

This man also said that to be tech writer you don't really
need a degree and that anyone who likes to write can be
a tech writer. He said that he doesn't know of any schools
that even offer a tech writing program, and even if there
was such a school, the degree isn't necessary.

Perhaps this man should realize that tech writers who
have short stays at companies often choose to leave on
their own. I do realize that the risk of losing a job,
whether it's permanent or contract, is always going to
be around. But I also realize that this risk is not
specifically for tech writers.

He said that anyone who wants to be a tech
writer should have some other skills to fall back on,
since the need for tech writers isn't very high. I
told him I don't think of tech writing as an income
subsidizer to babysitting, that it is a high-demanding
career choice I've made and one that I plan on being
successful in (without having to work at a taco joint
on the side).

Well, thanks again for everyone's help.

Shelly La Rock
smlarock -at- mtu -dot- edu